The physics department is the perfect place to explore the wonders of the universe at Viewforth. From studying the smallest particles, through the forces that shape your everyday life, to the largest stars and galaxies in the night sky, there are topics that everyone will find interesting.
Throughout the physics courses, our pupils will develop useful life skills alongside interesting topic knowledge. Skills such as logical thinking, problem solving, and applied maths mean pupils come away from the physics department better served for life beyond school.
Physics Course Outline
The S3 Physics course includes BGE experiences and outcomes from Planet Earth, Forces, Electricity, Waves and Topical Science.
The purpose of this course is to
- develop understanding of the physical world
- develop skills for life
- develop the skills of scientific inquiry and investigation
- develop skills in the use of scientific language, formulae and equations
- recognise the impact the sciences make on lives, the environment and on society
The course is organised into 3 Units:
- Space and Radiation
- Forces and Motion
- Electricity and Electronics
Courses offered in the Senior Phase:
The aims of the courses are:
- To develop and apply knowledge and understanding of Physics
- To develop an understanding of the impact of Physics on everyday life
- To develop an understanding of the role of Physics in society and the environment
- To develop scientific inquiry and investigative skills
- To develop problem-solving skills in a Physics context
These courses are suitable for learners who have previously studied BGE Science.
The courses are organised into 4 units
- Dynamics and Space
- Electricity and Energy
- Waves and Radiation
- Physics Assignment (Nat 5) / Added Value Unit (Nat 4)
This course is suitable for learners who have previously passed National 5 Physics.
The course is organised into 4 units
- Our Dynamic Universe
- Particles & Waves
- Researching Physics